30 caliber smokeless muzzleloader build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Learning alot with this project
Anyone have any insight as to a press that will size the monos a little easier that has more leverage without costing a fortune?
I'm using a tiny rcbs partner right now.
Thought about an arbor press also.
Nine ring and I have discussed the merits if each type. So I'm open to suggestions of those that have full formed a bit.
Using Lyman bullet lube and that helps.

Longer handle on the press (or slip a short cheater bar over it)

If that is impractical due to space, etc. I'd check out the presses that Corbin and others recommend for bullet swaging, or perhaps what is recommended to reload the larger rounds like the big Weatherby magnums, 338 LM, etc.

Since it could be used for other projects, I got a two ton arbor press. It didn't even need to be bolted down to do any mono other than those darned .458 Hornady monos. Due to the plastic tip they cannot be annealed and I feared they could be hard enough to ruin a die if pushed through. That was around 10 years ago.....the press was a fraction of what they are going for now. :(

So I bought a lee press for 50 bmg with a massive ram and lever on Amazon should be here this week.
The press was 189 delivered.
Has a 4 inch window if it won't work I'll return it thru Amazon. Or keep it for depriving or something else it could be used for.
I'm also redesigning my die to get the push at the top of the stroke where leverage is at its greatest advantage.
Looked at the arbor press and was going to get it. But the ram is on top and it would be a top down feed. So I would again have to fabricate a holding devise for the die or feed from the top of the die.

So I bought a lee press for 50 bmg with a massive ram and lever on Amazon should be here this week.
The press was 189 delivered.
Has a 4 inch window if it won't work I'll return it thru Amazon. Or keep it for depriving or something else it could be used for.
I'm also redesigning my die to get the push at the top of the stroke where leverage is at its greatest advantage.
Looked at the arbor press and was going to get it. But the ram is on top and it would be a top down feed. So I would again have to fabricate a holding devise for the die or feed from the top of the die.
Since you already made a decision for a press, this may be irrelevant to you but may help someone else. I drilled a hole in a small 3/8" plate to set on the platform. The die is placed upside down on the plate and each bullet is then placed upside down to properly go through the die. The press is a HF ratcheting arbor press (no longer on their site), the dies are Swinglock and this method works like a charm.

Since you already made a decision for a press, this may be irrelevant to you but may help someone else. I drilled a hole in a small 3/8" plate to set on the platform. The die is placed upside down on the plate and each bullet is then placed upside down to properly go through the die. The press is a HF ratcheting arbor press (no longer on their site), the dies are Swinglock and this method works like a charm.
Sounds like it could work very well and if this don't pan out I will try that.

Finished up thr detail work o. The die body and top cap.
Had to make a new push rod and shorten tge threads on the die body. To get the stroke right. Pushed thru jacketed bullets with no problems. Even with the tiny partner press.
The barnes I had to start with the die up off its seat and work it down.
I believe a big press won't be a problem 20240531_035118.jpg20240531_054238.jpg

Finished up thr detail work o. The die body and top cap.
Had to make a new push rod and shorten tge threads on the die body. To get the stroke right. Pushed thru jacketed bullets with no problems. Even with the tiny partner press.
The barnes I had to start with the die up off its seat and work it down.
I believe a big press won't be a problem View attachment 44480View attachment 44481
Beautiful job

Shot quite a bit today learned alot about full forming.
Learned that they are very barrel specific.
Probably why swinglock requires a drop.
Thomas is obviously a very smart man to have even thought the whole thing up.

The Donner drop shot ok at best I learned by accident thst the die was sizing way to far down to get the bullets to pass thru the barrel. I dropped one on the floor next to another that had made its way off the bench.
Couldn't tell them apart.
I had a starret tenth Mic sitting there but never picked it up until I needed to sort the two The Grove portion of the bullet was at .3025 way to loose to get any results.probably why I've been seeing eradic accuracy of late. The odd 6 inch flyer was disappointing 😞
So drastic measures were in order.
It will be another 5 or 6 weeks before my swinglock die shows up. Bummer for sure.
So I went ahead and excelerated my plans to chop thr barrel to 24 inch and thread thr barrel fir a muzzle brake.
It came out pretty good..
I now had some barrel to work with. And remade the insert.
Now I get a passable bullet at .3075 time will tell if that's the answer or not. 20240601_112334.jpg20240601_225921.jpg20240601_230024.jpg

Latest posts

Back