.40 cast Bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is a 18 hardness a hard cast bullet ? I went & researched it & it's a hard cast bullet. That's not what i am looking for & i have 200 of them now. I will just use them to develop a load for that weight

Last edited:
Live & learn, my fault but a learning curve. I got the bullet sizer & punch in for .397 & .398. They are smooth sided no threads to install on my RCBS press. I used a ballpeen hammer & set sizer on a socket & tapped it through. The .397 is correct for the Coleraine barrel. Those are hard cast bullets so i spect they be harder to knock through.

Live & learn, my fault but a learning curve. I got the bullet sizer & punch in for .397 & .398. They are smooth sided no threads to install on my RCBS press. I used a ballpeen hammer & set sizer on a socket & tapped it through. The .397 is correct for the Coleraine barrel. Those are hard cast bullets so i spect they be harder to knock through.
I suspect you want .398 /what weight then , I will look at what Accurate has and give you the item #. See your PM i responded to/Ed

Last edited:
I was playing around on a twist calculator that I have used with success when trying to design a bullet mold and I came up with a bullet that is .90 in length, .400 in diameter, shot at 1400 fps using lead will be right in the neighborhood for your 1-24 twist barrel. Accurate shows a mold 40-280Q with pretty close to those parameters. The good old "I" bullet is a proven shooter. Maybe an email to Accurate asking to design a 40 cal version using the "I" bullet design at your specs.
The twist calculator that I often use is kwk.us/twist.html free on the web. Trying to find the perfect over the counter bullet for your chosen caliber may be a frustrating journey.

I was playing around on a twist calculator that I have used with success when trying to design a bullet mold and I came up with a bullet that is .90 in length, .400 in diameter, shot at 1400 fps using lead will be right in the neighborhood for your 1-24 twist barrel. Accurate shows a mold 40-280Q with pretty close to those parameters. The good old "I" bullet is a proven shooter. Maybe an email to Accurate asking to design a 40 cal version using the "I" bullet design at your specs.
The twist calculator that I often use is kwk.us/twist.html free on the web. Trying to find the perfect over the counter bullet for your chosen caliber may be a frustrating journey.
He has chosen a 40-215F and 40 -220 P from Accurate page 14 ,what s your calculations on That ? /Ed

Yes, for your faster twist barrel the numbers show that a bullet that is in the area of .90 inch long X your bore diam .400 shooting at 1400-1500fps should be just about perfect for the 1-24 twist. I will plug in some numbers and see what the twist calculator shows for 1-48. I'm thinking a round ball may be ideal? I've never played with a 40 cal. Lunch is bout over. I will post some findings later in the day (west coast for me)

Looks like that 1-48 twist barrel is going to take a mighty short conical, like around .50" length. Checkout Accurate #40-135P that one specs out using that data at 1400fps, Showed 1-44 twist. That would be a nice little thumper. Maybe the round ball will be the better choice?

Latest posts

Back