CVA Wolf V2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rscott30

Reaction score
I'm not new to muzzleloading, been shooting traditionals for over 25 years now. I bought my first in-line, a CVA Wolf V2 a few days ago mainly for the fun of it, and the price. I plan to keep shooting holy black, but would like to know a bit about bullet choice. I have plenty of 50 cal. R.E.A.L. bullets and am looking on those Powerbelt and sabots online. Your thoughts? Over powder wad?

Welcome to the forum. That’s a standard 1:28 twist barrel, so it should shoot 250-300 gr saboted bullets well. Personally, I wouldn’t mess with lead conicals or Powerbelts. Depends somewhat on what you’re doing with it. Hunting or target shooting?

I have a Wolf and shoot Hornady XTP (non-magnum) pistol bullets with the Harvester green crush ribbed sabot and have shot the 250 and 300 grain. Using 100 grains of BH209. Both are very accurate and have shot several deer with this set up and load.

I will be shooting at paper targets mostly. ordered 60 240 gr 50 cal. lead sabots with the rifle but have read about bad fouling from the plastic. I reason I was going to try the 320 gr. R.E.A.L.s is because I have a couple hundred already cast for my Kentucky rifle. Also have over 4 lbs of GOEX 2f.

Plastic fouling from sabots is largely a myth. I’ve seen it once in one of my 30+ muzzies in 35 years. I’d say go with the conicals and black if you’re just punching paper.

I might take the rifle out hunting in the future. Until then should I use a wad between powder and conical, or a wad with any projectile using black powder?

I have a Wolf and shoot Hornady XTP (non-magnum) pistol bullets with the Harvester green crush ribbed sabot and have shot the 250 and 300 grain. Using 100 grains of BH209. Both are very accurate and have shot several deer with this set up and load.
I've looked at the CVA Wolf rifles many times. The low cost puts me off. Quality concerns. Are these solid rifles that will hold up over time?

More importantly, how is the stock trigger on them? Trigger pull weight if you happen to know it?

Thank you.

I actually shoot a Knight DISC or a CVA Optima. I bought this on sale at ML.com three years ago. I shot a Veteran's Day 8 pt with it and it has become a loaner gun. My hunting partner shot a nice 8 pt with it last year and my son-in-law shot three does with it last year. No issues with the load above, all dead deer.

The stock trigger is a little heavy but easy to get used to and performs well with no issues. Don't know the trigger weight but not bad.

Latest posts

Back