30 caliber smokeless muzzleloader build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 45076
Here is another hunting load
110 grain barnes solid at 3150 ft/sec
Over 33.1 of n120 with a 205m primmer.
Probably going to shoot this some more at distance.
I did note that n120 is very temp stable
I shot this load from 70 degrees this morning to over 95 when I quite.
I took my press to the range and my powder machine.
It was OK the powder machine is very sensitive.
Had to keep it in my truck. But it beat back and forth to the house.
I did try 33.5 and the velocity was 3175 but the group shifted and opened up. Got off the node. Primmrrs looked real good! No signs of preasure.
I'll take a 3/4 moa hunting load....
You have developed this idea beyond its original concept into a practical deer hunting rifle, with this velocity. That is what most people are looking for. Congratulations to you guys on coming up with a great idea and making it work.

You have developed this idea beyond its original concept into a practical deer hunting rifle, with this velocity. That is what most people are looking for. Congratulations to you guys on coming up with a great idea and making it work.
Yes sir for me the goal was always to get to a place where I felt comfortable and ethical to hunt out to 300/350 yards.
I agree that either of the barnes loads should do that job without much fuss. I'm leaning towards the 110 but that 120 is such a beauty of a projectile it's hard to discount it.
You don't need big long heavy bullets to shoot thin-skinned North American white tail deer.
I've personally witnessed 85 grain barnes in 6mm do wonders on deer when the shot is placed properly.
I've seen 110 and 127 barnes take deer where they stood at moderate velocities in 6.5 creedmoors.
I've typically hunted with 127gn to 180gn bullets in the monos and they have always performed well in 6.5 bore to 338 bore for me

I got here by taking the bullets performance over the last 16 seasons into concideration.
No matter the weight I've never found one in a deer. Not one with over 75 kills.
The wound channel is always predictable.
Caliber hole going in double going out.
Jello in-between.
Deer on the ground.farthest I've tracked is 37 yards.
So with that information I figure you can step down in weight and up in velocity.
With pin point accuracy I don't think a deer stands much of a chance.
For me in my state the driving force was last years law changed to allow 30 caliber muzzleloaders in Georgia. I'd love to take one this year with this rig.

I got a new internal for my Woodman plug so I've got it back up and running at least got rid of the Leaky part ,anyway this is the first time I've tried in-120 this is 27 grains and 112 grain hillbilly bullet looks like some potential there to me first shot was the one just out of the hole at the bottom and then four of them got in a hole sometimes you shoot a really great load and even if you worry that you might have pulled slightly the bullet just bends and straightens out and gets in the hole this load feels that way.

Attachments

• 20240626_093210.jpg
    20240626_093210.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
I got a new internal for my Woodman plug so I've got it back up and running at least got rid of the Leaky part ,anyway this is the first time I've tried in-120 this is 27 grains and 112 grain hillbilly bullet looks like some potential there to me first shot was the one just out of the hole at the bottom and then four of them got in a hole sometimes you shoot a really great load and even if you worry that you might have pulled slightly the bullet just bends and straightens out and gets in the hole this load feels that way.
Great shooting bud!
Was that smooth or full form?

It's a bench rest bullet ,custom made I have an uncle that shoots bench rest he happened to have a lot of them that were just too short for the particular throat in his rifle I picked them up from him at a good deal,,they would resemble 115 grain Berger.

Back