Be darn sure of your target.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here’s how this diatribe relates to this thread. I honestly wouldn’t have a problem with those kids riding 4 wheelers on my place in the off season, because they weren’t hurting anything. HOWEVER, it’s the fear of being held liable for something I didn’t do or have any knowledge of that makes me deny access.
Once the tracks are laid down by an ATV or snowmobile, it's pretty damn hard to break out of that pattern. Going back 25 years ago, we had issues with lazy hunters on ATVs . The routes they used are still there today. The offenders went through a barway to access our back 40. My neighbor in the back had the same issue. We put a 2' pine log across the barway and a gate. Two weeks later he stopped over and said the gate was open and the log has been cut with a chain saw. At that point he chained the gate. The atv'ers cut the fence about 25 feet from the gate and went through. They cut my fence too. That winter the snowmobilers followed their trail. I put my fence back up but got warned my the family lawyer that I could be liable if someone ran into it. At that point I had enough. I put logs and tree roots at any entrance that crossed our fence line. I planted multi flora rose the follow spring near these entrances also, along with black locust. In a few years the multi flora rose grew into a thick tangle mess. Never had another issue. I heard it was a local LEO and his family who thought they owned the whole mountain. The family lawyer told me I am responsible and liable for everything in my boundaries. I actually have a rider on my homeowners policy that will give me a cushion should someone get hurt. In this litigious society you can't be too safe.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back