Boop, the .35 Remington

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
At 300 yards.
On a very still day.
A 200 grain Hornady FTX over 43 gr of Hodgdon LVR, Winchester brass and CCI 200 primers. Chrono'd 2220 fps, so a true Leverevolution equivalent load.
I have shot her at 200 a number of times, with very agreeable results.
So. 300? Cuz... why not?
I figured about 20 inches of drop and got exactly that.
Lost the first 2 shots in the 2nd group to pulse bounce. 300 each way is a bit of a stroll. Best to wait until everything settles back down.
The crosshairs of the Leupold M8 4x in the target puts the top of the bottom post in the group. Handy that!
This load is still scooting along at 1500 fps and carrying 1000 ftlbs way down yonder.
I no longer think of the .35 Remington as a brush gun.

Attachments

• 20240605_163155.jpg
    20240605_163155.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240605_165233.jpg
    20240605_165233.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240605_170405.jpg
    20240605_170405.jpg
    596.1 KB · Views: 1
An old or new .35 is / was a great killer of game. People seem to think of it as a barely get the job done, not so. I base my post on 2 facts of which i know first hand. Most of us know about the big Kodiak Brown bears in Alaska. My Pa had a Rem. model 141 pump in .35, in 1948 he was stationed in Anchorage Al. He hunted the Island 2 different times. He killed 2 big Bears that squared over 10'. Both were shot using Rem. factory 200 gr ammo, one was fairly close about 60 yards one shot kill. The second was more around 130-140 yards & he shot it twice for the kill. It's killing power is there, i had a .35 in the 760 pump. When i shot deer through the lungs they ran some yardage. That's common on lung shots. I started shooting them through the shoulders like my Pa told me to. They bang flopped !

Last edited:
When I was 11 in 1969, I wanted a 30-30 lever action for deer. Saved all my birthday money and worked 2 summers picking up hay to buy one. The local gun shop near us called Dad one day and said for us to stop by. We did and the owner showed Dad a 336 Marlin in 35 Rem that had a recoil pad installed. I was a skinny kid maybe 90 lbs. and owner told me if I could shoot it, he would work a deal for me. Well, he walked out behind the barn and put a apple on top of a fence post and we walked back maybe 30 yards open sights I fired apple was gone. I was still standing, and rest is history still have it and collected a lot of deer and turkeys with it. Both my sons have hunted and killed deer with it. Don't use any more (maybe I should). Was that old it isn't drilled or tap for a scope and doesn't have much bluing left.

An old or new .35 is / was a great killer of game. People seem to think of it as a barely get the job done, not so.

A common misconception of those inexperienced and/or unfamiliar with the caliber. The .35 will kill big game far more effectively than its paper ballistics would let on. Once I first used this caliber in the early 80's, I was hooked for life.

Although never as "common" as the 30/30 it is so often compared to, the round is no longer even popular & that's just sad. The only manufacturer to currently produce a rifle in this caliber is Henry (although Marlin has promised to bring it back in the new 336). It is a caliber that, at various times throughout the decades, has been produced in lever, semi-auto, pump, bolt & single shot actions.

When Indiana came up with the 1.8-inch cartridge length for rifles on private land I used to trim the cases down and load them factory length as far as bullet seating depth and it was the first rifle, I hunted deer with. Before that it was Remington 870 and Muzzy. All rifles .243 and above are legal now on private land but I still hunt certain areas with my 336 35 Rem. Killed a lot of deer and Coyotes with them. One of my hunting rules i you see a Coyote shoot it.

The day I bought Boop I was actually looking at a waffletop 336A. The one Cabelas had was... customized.
Definitely NOT worth the $1100 they wanted.
Boop was, and is, worth every penny of the $1500 I paid for her. She was in n.i.b. condition. I'd go so far as to say "new old stock".

Love mine. Put a 1.5-4 Leopold on her as my vision isn't what it once was. I have fancier rifles, but my 35 is one of my favorites. It was manufactured in 1968, and is a solid shooter, and kills clean.

I bought my 336, .35 Rem in 1980. My first gun purchase when I was old enough to buy at 21. It has Redfield solid base, rings and a Redfield 4x post reticle scope on it and it has killed numerous whitetail deer. I currently reload with 180g and 200g bullets with at least 36 grains of 3130 and these combos are accurate and deadly on whatever is down wind. I have some hard cast, gas checked 200g hp bullets that I will be loading to see how they perform. A great classic that is alive and well.

Back