Bullet choices

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do have to wonder is rifle twist / bullet rpm comes into play. If you have ever watched a high speed bullet impact an animal you can actually see the effect. Shoot a 32gr bullet going 4000 fps into an animal and the destruction is unbelievable. The twist on muzzleloaders are what they are. The damage on the newspaper shot shows the incredible hydraulic shock that bullet created.

I have seen enough animals killed with everything from a .177 pellet rifle to a 12 gauge lead slug. I watched 12gauge lead foster type slugs pencil through a deer. There isn't a perfect bullet made for every situation. Jacketed bullets cover most of the situations.

The meat saver shot rarely (in my experience) causes an animal to drop instantly. They run dead on their feet. My biggest deer to date was killed with an arrow going about 240fps.

Terminal ballistics are a funny thing. I hear too many inexperienced hunters denounce a bullet or a caliber because it didn't work for them. You tube is full influencers & impartial videos so take it for what you will. Nothing trumps years of experience and a pile of dead critters 😉

Twists yes indeed play a big role in accuracy. I have a .40 cal. T7 or 3F black in 1:48, also a 1:24 again in T7 or 3 F black. I have 2 .45's in 1:48 T7 & 3F black. I have a sml .45 1:20 using .40 cal bullets & sabots. I am always way behind on load working. I have so many chores to keep up with. I will get things done at some pt. to get some much needed play time.

Latest posts

Back