caribou hunters

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you hunt them with a black powder rifle or with a modern center fire? How close is the average shot on them? It looks like a great sport.

Also my sister who lives in Alaska tells me that depending on what the caribou eat, it effects the way they taste. Have you found this to be true?

boo Hunting

never done it but it looks like fun to me. The BP hunt would be great.

I've gone to Quebec twice for Caribou. I won't bother to name the Outfitter because on my second trip, he really sucked. However, the guides did their jobs very well.Took two bulls each time. Two with a 30-06, and the last two with a .308.
I wanted to go with a M/L, but was advised that it would be a major hassle getting black powder into Canada, so I didn't try.
Shortest shot was my second bull with the '06. Paced it off at 72 paces. The longest was two years later with the .308, 287 paces directly into the wind. I was able to get within 125 yards of a whole bunch, so I guess a M/L is really up to the job.
Sizewise, they are bigger than a Muley, and way smaller than an Elk. Don't take much killing. 150 gr. Sierras dropped them within 25 yards of being hit. If I were using a M/L, it would be a .54, or better yet a .58. No such thing as "overkill".
Great meat. My second favorite. Moose is first.
Hope this helped.

cayuga said:
Do you hunt them with a black powder rifle or with a modern center fire? How close is the average shot on them? It looks like a great sport.

Also my sister who lives in Alaska tells me that depending on what the caribou eat, it effects the way they taste. Have you found this to be true?

i use a center fire BROWNING A- BOLT [.300wsm]...180gr. Winchester supreme accubond ..i have gone 5 times up to Caniapiscau ..with an outfitter ..we always go the last week of september ,no more velvet on the antlers and no more flies .we fly out from Montreal and it is a 2 and a 1/2 hour flight to the outfitters main camp ..than we get on a otter and it lands on the lake near the hunting camp ..i have met a lot of american hunters up there sometimes we share the same camp .. as for the meat i enjoy it ,and it tastes good ..but my first choice of meat is Moose and it has to be a female ..otherwise i'll pass ..shot a big bull 48" and the meat was as hard as rock ..no more big racks for me ...as for caribou meat i have shot bulls and females and they were both tender [no differance]

I went to Alaska a few years back, a bush pilot dropped us and OUR equipment on the tundra, Seen thousands of animals, the wind and rain were dreadful but I loved it. Actually we only had sausage made and shipped back. Redclub

I just booked my first caribou hunt for the last week of september 09. I am also taking a 300 wsm. This has been a trip I've dreamed of for a long time and I can't wait. Any helpful advive you could share would be super.

redline02 said:
I just booked my first caribou hunt for the last week of september 09. I am also taking a 300 wsm. This has been a trip I've dreamed of for a long time and I can't wait. Any helpful advive you could share would be super.

where are u going to ?? Alaska ... Quebec ..Newfoundland ???? what transportation are you taking.. plane or truck ????

Flying to Quebec and will spend a night there, then a flight to Kuujjuaq. It seems to be pretty far north. I hope for a bull with hard horns and the full white mane. I also will be using a browning A bolt in 300 WSM. Could you give me some clue as to weather and clothes to take? I like the guide I booked with and of course the DVD he sent of a bow hunt last year. I am really exicited and of course hopeful all will go as planned.

redline02 said:
Flying to Quebec and will spend a night there, then a flight to Kuujjuaq. It seems to be pretty far north. I hope for a bull with hard horns and the full white mane. I also will be using a browning A bolt in 300 WSM. Could you give me some clue as to weather and clothes to take? I like the guide I booked with and of course the DVD he sent of a bow hunt last year. I am really exicited and of course hopeful all will go as planned.

you will be hunting in the extreem north ,no more trees ,and the second week of sept. the big bulls will shed they're velvet [the younger bulls will shed later] the antlers of a young bull look big also ,but they will be darker in colour..i alway's look for a WHITE MANE we call them WHITE COLLARS up here ..also check for "back pins" if they are 3" long you have a good bull ..as for your cloths expect rain ,snow and lots of wind.. i have a Browning suit and it takes care of the extreem weather ..also don't forget ur fishing rod [catch and release only] get a ridgid gun case ,to protect ur rifle ..2 years ago we had an american bow hunter with us ,i tagged a caribou for him ,all of the bull's where out of reach [but it is never the same] ps. the bulls are not hard to put down ,no shoulder shots ,go for a neck shot or a lung shot ..if u need to know anything else let me know ...

WOW! He's beautiful! That would be everything I could hope for . Thank you for the info it is very helpful and I do plan on taking my fishing rod. I'm sure I will have a few more questions for you soon. Thank again.

thank you-- I wasn't planning on that but i really appreciate that. What do you do when you get off the plane with your guns?

redline02 said:
thank you-- I wasn't planning on that but i really appreciate that. What do you do when you get off the plane with your guns?

you will leave the USA and fly into CANADA so phone customs and make sure you have the proper paperwork for your rifle ..phone your OUTFITTER and ask him what papers are needed ...also here is a link to where the caribou are [it is updated every 2 weeks]

http://www.mrnf.gouv.qc.ca/english/wild ... u/maps.jsp

bou

Super caribou! What great bez...I get my crack at one in the fall of 09. Going to NWT for mountsin caribou...taking my 50 cal omega. Man I can't wait!

Re: bou

CowboyAl said:
Super caribou! What great bez...I get my crack at one in the fall of 09. Going to NWT for mountsin caribou...taking my 50 cal omega. Man I can't wait!

good .i hope u tag a nice bull ..my personel choice would be HORNADY .250gr. SST ...and 2 T7 pelets ...good enough for caribou ..

Back