Help I have a white super 91 .504 muzzle loader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewMexicoElk

Reaction score
I ordered some hornady sst 300 gr sabots, jim shocky gold ffg powder, #11 primers, anyone here know about the white super 91 I would like to know where to start or what to do with this? White closed shop doors years ago. HELP.
thank you

With your White.. you might consider conicals also. I shoot conicals out of my White rifles and they are excellent loads. There is no elk that could take a hit from a 460 grain BS with a good powder charge. But for sabots, I have shot sabots out of my Whites. I find a 300 grain Hornady HP and a good heavy powder charge of 100-110 grains of Triple Se7en. If I were going after elk, I would look at some of the Nosler or Barnes..

cayuga said:
With your White.. you might consider conicals also. I shoot conicals out of my White rifles and they are excellent loads. There is no elk that could take a hit from a 460 grain BS with a good powder charge. But for sabots, I have shot sabots out of my Whites. I find a 300 grain Hornady HP and a good heavy powder charge of 100-110 grains of Triple Se7en. If I were going after elk, I would look at some of the Nosler or Barnes..

What is conicals? and where can I get them, you are the first one ive talked to that owns a white....
thank you for the help

I own three of them. The White rifle is really probably IMO the best conical shooting rifle in the world. My White Ultra Mag and Bison shoot a .5045 diameter 460 & 500 grain conical with excellent results. My White M97 in .451 shoots a 460 grain conical with amazing accuracy. I don't hunt elk but do hunt deer. I load 70 grains of Triple Se7en 3f and it will shoot conical after conical without swabbing into the bulls eye.

A conical is a large chunk of lead. It is a full bore lead bullet. Bullshop Conicals are excellent conicals. I do like to put a wad under them. Redclub also shoots a White. He hunts elk with his Ultra Mag .504 and and 110 grains (I believe) of Triple Se7en powder with deadly results to elk.

http://bullshop.gunloads.com/ check his site.

DrThunder.jpg

this is 80 yards off shooting sticks with my .504 White UM which has a 2-7x32mm Nikon scope. I dare a deer to walk in front of me.

cayuga said:
DrThunder.jpg

this is 80 yards off shooting sticks with my .504 White UM which has a 2-7x32mm Nikon scope. I dare a deer to walk in front of me.

Thank you Dave.
so you think the hornady 300 gr sst will work with the jim shocky gold ffg powder.
where can I get the full lead bullets for the .504 bore?

I've shot a lot of American Pioneer Powder who makes Shockey Gold. While it works one day, the next range trip seems to be a joke. I never seem to get the consistency with it.

The only advantage of the APP/Shockey powder is it is easy to clean and does not fowl the barrel. Other then that it can be very temperamental. I would personally get some Triple Se7en 2f if shooting sabots, and Triple Se7en 3f if shooting conicals.

If you want to shoot some conicals, the No Excuses might work for you because you have a top of the line Super 91. They are a .503 diameter and I have shot them in my Ultra Mag which is a Model 97. I found them very loose though so I went to a Bull Shop .5045 500 grain conical and they shoot excellent. The 460 grain are also great shooters. I also make my own conical in .504 in a 450 grain conical that shoot real well.

Since you want to shoot conicals, get some Triple Se7en 2f. Yes you have to swab between shots SOMETIMES. But normally you are only going to take one shot when hunting. Also instead of an XTP go to a copper clad bullet like the Barnes or a sold bullet like the Nosler Partition. For elk I would try the 250 or 300 grain. But I warn you, I never shot a elk with a muzzleloader. So a lot of my bullet recommendation is speculation. Sabotloader is the elk killer around here and he pops them at some extreme distances to boot..

Dave thank you for the help, im new to this site and not good at getting around in here yet, if you can tell sabotloader to email me at.
[email protected] would be great, does he shoot the white muzzle loader as well? thanks again
Gregory

There are lots of White Rifle shooters.. And yes, Sabotloader does shoot a White Ultra Mag Model 97 in .504 caliber.

There is a forum "technically" dedicated to White Rifle shooters. Although they seldom stay on track of any topic, they have a lot of fun. BUT if you have a question of what a White can do, you need help with something, or need parts, this is one of the best places to look. Many of the same members on the White Rifle forum are also here.

http://www.dwbs.proboards28.com/index.cgi?

Back