Loose stock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
You guys remember my recent thread titled "need more work" where my groups were larger then they were on my last outing? I noticed when I was home cleaning my rifle that the Boyds butt stock was loose. It had some up and down play in it. I removed the retaining bolt and put some blue Locktite on it and snugged it back up.
I'm wonder if that could have been part of the difference from sub 1" groups to 1.5" groups. I sure hope so.

I tried doing a search for this but the only thing google or yahoo found addressed bedding. But logic would suggest that this had to play a least a minor role in the accuracy difference even if it was the minor difference in angle(s) from shot to shot and how it would effect recoil.

I had that problem on a Boyd's Encore stock several years ago. I really liked the stock but after a summer of shooting it I took it out for my first deer hunt with that particular Encore. Had a buck walk out at 30 yards and stand broadside. I missed. Got home and while looking the gun over there was a crack that had developed between two layers of laminate and allowed some play. As much as I liked the stock I haven't been able to convince myself to get another laminate since.

Latest posts

Back