Shooting the Renegade

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoHiCntry

Reaction score
I made it out  today to try the T/C Renegade I'm hoping to use this hunting season.  I'm relatively new to using sidelocks.  I started with 70 grains of T7, a 425 grain Great Plains bullet and a Remington <a href='/tags/11' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #11'>#11</a> cap.  I was only shooting at 25 yards.  I mostly wanted to shoot it and make sure everything appeared to be functioning well.  I had no problems.  No hangfires or misfires that I was told might happen with a <a href='/tags/11' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #11'>#11</a> and T7.  I only shot 6 times though.  The only issue is it has a hair trigger!  To much so for me.  I need to see about adjusting it.  You barely put your finger on the trigger and it goes off.  It startled me on my first shot.  As you can see the first shot is off to the left and a little lower than the others.  The remaining 5 shots grouped well but it's only 25 yards.  I'll increase my range to 50 yards next time and slowly work up to 100 yards.  Hopefully it will remain shooting good out to that distance.

Got a question... whats the half cocked position of the hammer used for?  In that position I wasn't able to cap the gun which is what I assumed that position is for?  Also the double set triggers are gonna be hard to get used to.

Another question... I was swabbing after every two shots and using the nipple pick at this time too.  I was assuming using the pick was the same as using a drill bit in the breech plug of my inlines?  Is this a common time to be using the nipple pick?

I also got a chance to use my new Caldwell "Rock" rest with rear bag.  I like it much better than my old lead sled style rest.

img_2014.jpg

img_2013.jpg

Tight group CoHiCntry which is always a great start.  :Red tup:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
 p.s.  I"m not a fan of one-piece gun holders.  I bench shoot with the same 2-piece( tripod/rear-pinch rest) setup you've shown.    

Glad Triple Seven worked for you.   IMO:  It's the best substitute powder available. 

The half cock holds the hammer off the cap while hunting, etc.   It's also used while loading the rifle.   

For instructions on adjusting the set trigger click on the Hawken manual and go to page 42. 

http://www.tcarms.com/owners-manuals

Starting out with a group like that is great. Play around with different charges and you may even tighten the group. The Renegade is a good choice for heavy slugs and the sights on yours seem to be favored over the later bead, it is with me too.

There are brass nipple covers that go over the nipple while cap is on to prevent accidental firing and waterproof. I made a similar cover from a wood dowel.

Some cold weather hunters use the other trigger to fire rifle. I prefer the single trigger model for cold weather so gloves can be left on.

John

I assumed while hunting I would have the hammer down over the capped nipple???  Your supposed to leave it in the half cocked position?  Seems like you would risk it failing and dropping onto the cap or having the cap fall off or something?

Thanks for posting the user manual link... I'll take a look and try to adjust it.

John Neslen said:
There are brass nipple covers that go over the nipple while cap is on to prevent accidental firing and waterproof. I made a similar cover from a wood dowel.

John
 With one of the above over nipple nothing touches the cap so hammer can rest on them without worry of accidental discharge.

Do not rest hammer on nipple.

John

John Neslen said:
John Neslen said:

John
 With one of the above over nipple nothing touches the cap so hammer can rest on them without worry of accidental discharge.

John
I did a little research on Google and other forums on this topic.  Seems like opinions are all over the place on wether you should be hunting with it in half cocked position or with the hammer resting on the nipple.

Neither way sounds very appealing to me.  Especially if I'm using a sling with the gun on my back!  The brass nipple cover you mention sounds like a good way to go.  My only concern would be trying to remove it real quick when a shot presents itself.  Any experience with this?  Do you have a link or know where I could see one of these brass nipple covers?  I'd like to see what it looks like.

What does everyone else do when hunting... half cocked, resting on nipple, or something else?  Interested to see how other guys are doing this.

The brass nipple cover does not rest on the cap, it goes over it. I bought mine in the early 80's and I believe it was made and came from Oregon. I copied it with a wood dowel drilled to fit over entire nipple. It has been so long I can't remember if the brass one came with a short leather thong or if I put it one. It is easy to remove the cover, just pull thong and other end is tied to the trigger guard. It is waterproof with an O ring inside that holds it on firm.Now you can rest hammer on it safely.

When my wife gets done taking care of the two gallons of raspberries she just picked I will have her take a picture of it. Can't post it here but can send via email.

John

Round two...

Went out yesterday to continue getting a good load worked up for the Renegade.  Last time seemed to produce a good group so I moved the target back to 50 yds. and started with the same load of 70 gr. T7, and a 425 gr. Hornaday Great Plains.  Fired 6 shots.  Unfortunately the difference in the group from 25 yds. to 50 yds. was pretty bad.  They were all over the place?!?!

img_2015.jpg

I moved up to 80 gr of powder and fired 6 more shots.  The results were much better.  All except one flyer?  Kind of a strange group with most of the shots being in a 3" vertical line and one an inch or so above the others.  No idea what happened with that flyer?
img_2016.jpg

I'm concerned that this group will open up even more at 75 yds and not at all acceptable at 100 yds?  Guess I'll have to see.  Next range session will be out to 75 yds.  One question I have is how much T7 is it safe to use in a sidelock?  I was thinking I would be around 80 gr. but having to increase once makes me wonder if I'll end up having to do it again?  Would 90 or even 100 gr. still be ok?

If you keep upping the powder charge of T-7 you will be blowing the skirts off the Great Plains, and accuracy will diminish. T-7 is a powerful powder meant for in-lines, but will function in traditionals with reduced powder charges. Also, you are shooting now in warm weather, if you will be hunting in colder weather, ignition, and performance will be different. T-7 has an ignition point higher than real black powder, and Pyrodex.

John Neslen said:
John Neslen said:

John

John
I just use an empty 9mm or .380 cartridge case over the nipple. If I lose it, no big deal. The hammer rests on the inverted case not the percussion cap.

OK... took it out to 75 yds. using 80 gr. of T7 and the 425 gr. Hornaday Great Plains.  You can see the group was just OK, not great.  1 flyer again.  My target is getting pretty ragged, sorry for the bad pic!  I increased the powder to 90 gr. and one shot hit the edge of the box and the second shot didn't even hit the box!  So, looks like 90 gr. is to much, 70 gr. produced an unacceptable group so looks like 80 gr. is the sweet spot.  I'd like to try and shrink the group down though so I'm thinking about getting some over powder wads to try.  I've never used them before and there appears to be several available for the .54 cal.  I've seen wool, vegetable, and even leather.  Lubed, dry, etc. in all different thicknesses.  Does anyone have a recommendation on a wad to use or even lubed or dry?

img_2017.jpg

CoHiCntry said:
...80 gr. of T7 and the 425 gr. Hornaday Great Plains.  You can see the group was just OK, not great.
I've shot a lot of Great Plains over the years- 50, 54 and 58 caliber.  There's been one "theme" in getting good consistent accuracy with them: Put a lubed felt wad or "bore button" between the powder and the base of the bullet.  I use beeswax thinned with olive oil to a little softer than chapstick.  With the lubed wad, the Great Plains is one of the most accurate bullets I've ever used. Without it, results are about like what you're seeing.

CoHiCntry said:
I assumed while hunting I would have the hammer down over the capped nipple???  Your supposed to leave it in the half cocked position?  Seems like you would risk it failing and dropping onto the cap or having the cap fall off or something?

Thanks for posting the user manual link... I'll take a look and try to adjust it.

When using a percussion cap gun to hunt with I use a small rectangular piece of leather over the nipple, its attached to the trigger quard with a wang (leather cord) that drops down off the nipple when the gun is cocked - that way you don't loose it.

Update... I got some over powder wool wads. Ox Yoke brand. I'm getting 2.5" groups with open sights at 100 yards now. Good enough for me at this point! Looking forward to my first hunting season with the side lock! Thank you for everyone's help with this...

That's great results with open sights at 100 yards!  You're doing well!

CoHiCntry said:
Update... I got some over powder wool wads.  Ox Yoke brand.  I'm getting 2.5" groups with open sights at 100 yards now.
Another for the list of improved results.  I kinda figured it would, but with each gun having its own personality, you can never be sure till you try it. Glad it worked out.

Latest posts

Back