TC Firehawk 54?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leadball

Reaction score
I have a chance to buy one it is listed as new old stock he said he bought it new and put it away and never fired it. The rifle is stainless and plastic stock the price is 350.00 but it was just listed and guns in my area are selling very slow what do you guys think of the TC Firehawks

I have a stainless/wood stock 50 cal one I got off of Gunbroker earlier this year. Beautiful shape, doesn't look like but a few rounds through it. I have yet to fire it myself. Paid 165, which included shipping.

I have a TC Thunderhawk 54.
Mine is the short barreled carbine.
Not sure what the difference is between the two models but I do like the one I have. Very accurate with patched round ball.
I've only tried a couple different sabot, bullet combinations so far, which shot ok. I haven't spent too much time experimenting though.

Fine rifle! Might not be a bad price really. They aren't making any more, and the 1-38 twist is outstanding with conicals AND sabots. You can shoot .50 cals in sabots out of that .54 as well as .45s.
Recoil will be... attention getting. It's a light rifle, but the stock is VERY well designed and helps mitigate recoil. Walnut stocks do pop up and I highly recommend grabbing one.
Fear not the fixed breechplug! IMHO, it's a better design. In my experience, removeables are a solution in search of a problem.
My (.50) Firehawk is the last rifle I would ever part with.

I paid considerably more than that for a blued and wood stock Firehawk, but it was a .58. I've wanted a .58 T/C for a long time. Functionally my .58 Firehawk is equal to a Big Boar. If it's what you really want then I consider that .54 a good deal.

One bit of info, the Firehawk breechplug is not removable so cleaning it is the same as cleaning my Zouave. I like a fixed breechplug. The thought of a bolt or plunger and retaining cap flying back into my face isn't appealing.

In the worst case, I want the barrel to fail first, not the breechplug. JMHO.

Sounds like the Firehawks are a fine muzzy that 1 in 38 twist works pretty good what about round balls I have shot them in 1 in 48 twist with good results what about the 1 in 38 should I just drop the charge a little whats your guys experience

Sounds like the Firehawks are a fine muzzy that 1 in 38 twist works pretty good what about round balls I have shot them in 1 in 48 twist with good results what about the 1 in 38 should I just drop the charge a little whats your guys experience
yes they will shoot round balls with lighter charges.

Back