What cartridge gun modern stuff did you do today?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of my 10 mm carbine, shooting the subsonic suppressed is not bad but shooting supersonic ammo through the suppressor is not a pleasant experience; a lot of gas to the face. This is straight blowback operated. Any advice out there on reducing gas to the face? Heavier buffer/spring maybe?....

Speaking of my 10 mm carbine, shooting the subsonic suppressed is not bad but shooting supersonic ammo through the suppressor is not a pleasant experience; a lot of gas to the face. This is straight blowback operated. Any advice out there on reducing gas to the face? Heavier buffer/spring maybe?....

10mm has enough oomph that Macon Armory makes a DI upper in that caliber

No way would I go for a 10mm blowback ...

10mm has enough oomph that Macon Armory makes a DI upper in that caliber

No way would I go for a 10mm blowback ...
Yeah, well that ship has sailed; I own it, LOL. Having never shot with a suppressor, I didn't realize that would be an issue. It is a fun little gun to shoot unsuppressed and very reliable now that I ground and polished the hell out of the feed ramp. It is also pretty accurate and I can get 0.75 inch groups pretty regularly at 50 yards. The blowback isn't bad with subsonic ammo but I do plan to hunt with it and I will be using full power loads for that. I was planning on keeping the suppressor on it to save my eardrums when I fire at a deer but I will need to figure out some way of mitigating the blowback. I might be able to rig something up to guide it away from my face or something. I am just asking for ideas here.

Yeah, well that ship has sailed; I own it, LOL. Having never shot with a suppressor, I didn't realize that would be an issue. It is a fun little gun to shoot unsuppressed and very reliable now that I ground and polished the hell out of the feed ramp. It is also pretty accurate and I can get 0.75 inch groups pretty regularly at 50 yards. The blowback isn't bad with subsonic ammo but I do plan to hunt with it and I will be using full power loads for that. I was planning on keeping the suppressor on it to save my eardrums when I fire at a deer but I will need to figure out some way of mitigating the blowback. I might be able to rig something up to guide it away from my face or something. I am just asking for ideas here.

RTV or similar to seal around the charging handle. If you can use a standard AR charging handle try looking at the various "gas buster" versions.

Increasing spring power can cause bho and other parts to break, so next best option is to increase bolt mass/weight, but that can lead to same breakage issues

Since you are reloading it may be possible to use a less gassy powder ... got any TiteGroup available? Ive been told not to use it for 44 loads for my gas operated carbine since it will have a lower gas port pressure vs 231 or h110

Wouldn’t it be nice if 20 ga shells were still $2.77 per box! 😍
It definitely would. I’ve bought several “lots” of shotgun reloading components at estate sales and off other message boards over the years, and I’m pretty sure I can load my own for about that price. I haven’t done much skeet or sporting clay shooting in at least 25 years, but my Father in Law just joined the local skeet club and has asked me to go with him. He’s 80 and has had some major health problems over the last 3 years, so he really doesn’t need to go by himself.

Mounted my Sightmark Wraith on my new Savage Axis 223 after installing an Mcarbo Pro trigger spring kit.
Two shots at 25 yards to get it close after bore sighting then zeroed in at 100 yds.
Once that was done proceeded to knock the paint off the 8" steel plate at 200 yds.
Fun day.
Time to break out the varmint call and exterminate a few coyotes.

I ordered some hard cast coated bullets to reload for my 30/30 and 44 mag rifles. Trying something new since jacketed bullets can be hard to find and pricey. I reload with a Lee hand loader and measure each load with an old Herters beam scale. Time consuming but it is rewarding and fun! The 30/30 rifle is a 1914 Savage 1899 takedown that is a great old classic.

Shot my Nylon 66 I got from my grandpa with my 6 year old son today. It was the first gun I ever shot and my son's first gun he shot.

Ordered buffalo bore 44 mag ammo for my bear gun as well in preparation of my Alaska trip this August
Grew up killing ground hogs with a black and chrome Nylon 66.

Saw one the other day in a gun shop. Brand new in the box and whistle clean. Just shy of a thousand bucks. I laughed at the store owner and handed it back to him.

RTV or similar to seal around the charging handle. If you can use a standard AR charging handle try looking at the various "gas buster" versions.

Increasing spring power can cause bho and other parts to break, so next best option is to increase bolt mass/weight, but that can lead to same breakage issues

Since you are reloading it may be possible to use a less gassy powder ... got any TiteGroup available? Ive been told not to use it for 44 loads for my gas operated carbine since it will have a lower gas port pressure vs 231 or h110
This is not an AR so it doesn't use a charging handle like an AR. There is a bolt on the right side like a 10/22 or pretty much any blowback weapon that is not an AR. Less gassy powders might help but I that won't help with commercial ammo. Acc#9 is apparently NOT a less gassy powder and that is what I have used for full power loads in the past. I don't have any titegroup but maybe I'll pick up a little to try. I have emails out to TNW to see if they have any ideas since it is their design.

Ordered supplies from Powder Valley.

500 S&W Magnum Lee Precision Carbide 4 Die Set
2 lbs TiteGroup Powder
100 Starline brass
425 Blue bullets .500cal

45 Long Colt
Lee Precision Carbide 4 Die Set 45 Colt (Long Colt)​
1​
$55.99​
Hornady FTX Bullets 0.452 (45 Colt (Long Colt)) 225 Grain Polymer Tipped Box of 100​
1​
$43.49​
Winchester Large Pistol Primers Box of 1000​
$89.00

Last edited:
.500 S&W uses Large RIFLE Magnum Primers.

Good luck.

I'm down to my last 250 WLRM. May have to change powders so I can change primers to WLR.

Last edited:
Reloaded several hundred rounds of .38+P and .357 mag in my newly acquired Lee Turret Press. I’m quite impressed over the vast improvement over my RCBS Junior Single Stage press that I have been using in the last 44 years.

Sized, shoulder bumped and Chamfered 300 rounds of 6.5 CM today. Have it in the polisher overnight and will prime and load tomorrow. Took most of the day due to having limited use of right arm during recovery but was a great day to be in the shop.

Latest posts

Back