30 caliber smokeless muzzleloader build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the states that have restrictive Muzzleloader seasons also have Centerfire Seasons, I guess there's a few that don't, but for all of us who ring our hands over these issues I don't know why we just don't take our Muzzleloader of choice out in Centerfire season and get after it.
Agreed. Like a signature line I have seen, "The first shot is the one that counts, the rest are just noise."

Most of the states that have restrictive Muzzleloader seasons also have Centerfire Seasons, I guess there's a few that don't, but for all of us who ring our hands over these issues I don't know why we just don't take our Muzzleloader of choice out in Centerfire season and get after it.
I hunt western any weapon seasons with a muzzy. There are a few states that still require a muzzy used during those seasons to meet muzzy min caliber restrictions. So a .30 would be a no-go.

I noticed you go on javilina hunts and I bet you even predator or coyote hunt a little bit, I bet that you could find a way to fit a very accurate 30 cal into your hunting regimen, I understand all the season laws and bore Etc ,I think if we get the chance to shoot something this accurate we'll find a way to implement it , I'm not looking at the 30 cal Muzzleloader as a replacement for deer season rifles or bores though some people might or even necessarily to be a part of muzzleloading season, I will hunt with it some when I can ,and where I can, in the meantime as a varmit, target and enjoyment rifle I have yet to experience anything on par with it.

I noticed you go on javilina hunts and I bet you even predator or coyote hunt a little bit, I bet that you could find a way to fit a very accurate 30 cal into your hunting regimen, I understand all the season laws and bore Etc ,I think if we get the chance to shoot something this accurate we'll find a way to implement it , I'm not looking at the 30 cal Muzzleloader as a replacement for deer season rifles or bores though some people might or even necessarily to be a part of muzzleloading season, I will hunt with it some when I can ,and where I can, in the meantime as a varmit, target and enjoyment rifle I have yet to experience anything on par with it.
Yeah I think a .30 would be great for Javi hunting and target shooting.

I was thinking about the 30 cals place in my own future hunting a little bit ,if I look back over the last 30 years this is the list of calibers I hunted with,, my teenage to 18 years mostly a 6 mm or 243, I graduated to a 308, then from age 20 probably until around age 35 mostly 7mms ,7 STW ,300 Win Mag Etc ,I was target shooting during the big ego velocity mag days with 6.5-06 and various benchrest cartridges, but most of my hunting was with big fast bullets I was convinced that was where it was at, little by little as I got into my late 30s I began to pull away from big fast Magnum calibers and hunt more with small medium finesse, even bench rest type calibers that had good bullets and good bullet performance on game, from around age 45 even to the current day today if I have harvested a deer with a Centerfire it has been almost all with 100 grain or 105 grain 6 mm bullet in cartridges like the six Creedmoor or a 243,6br ,most of the deer that I've taken the last 10 to 15 years with a Centerfire have been with a hollow point target type bullet such as an ELD or an Amax or just a basic Sierra match King,, if I look back during that whole time and I took an average if I could on what bullet I killed the most deer with and had the best performance it is truthfully bullets between 85 and 120 grains even though I shot a lot of much larger bullets, maybe it was because I felt more comfortable as a little frame man with that size bullet, yet I don't believe that's what it is.
My stance and position is that a 30 caliber bullet weighing 100 to 120 grains and in particular the 110 grains this Barrel is designed for are plenty enough bullet, and plenty enough velocity ,energy etc ,to harvest almost anything in America that's in the Whitetail, hog and predator category, no it wouldn't be my first choice to go elk- mule deer hunting but for majority of the Whitetail killed in this country and especially for different situations 30 cal slow twist type bullets extreme accuracy makes sense to me,, laws have been changed in States by people who start movements, if States consider straight wall cartridges and change laws to suit ,who is to say they wouldn't also consider other bores in muzzleloading, I doubt many of us have been in a Game and Fish law meetings trying to present or ask for permission or to be allowed to shoot a 30 cal muzzleloader,, if more of us shot of rifle like this I believe that a movement would start ,I wonder sometimes again in a time where we do a lot of hand ringing when there is something new that shines in the light and looks like it has a lot of potential are we willing to take a look at it or do we go right back to the circle of the wagons around tradition and guard what exist, I think we're going to look up and realize in the not near future that we wish we had been looking forward more and not back.
On another note I decided this morning to switch from a large rifle Mag Primer to a Remington number 9 large rifle, I have just a little imr4198 I went back to it, shot a quick three shot group less than a quarter inch at 100 yards with the Nosler 110 grain varmint bullet I'm going to shoot most of the loads I've already shot with Federal large rifle mag primers I'm going to switch over to the Remington number 9 and then probably over to just Federal large rifle just looking at velocities which I expect to be slightly less but motivated more by accuracy ,,,always!!!

I am an obsessed fanatic addicted muzzleloader for two reasons,, first the most accurate weapon systems I've ever shot,, second 45 bore,,,, the combination of 45 bore smokeless powders and black horn literally turned all of my shooting world upside down as powerful as those two elements have been and still are today, this is more I believe ,and I'm talking 30 cal slow twist light bullets I literally have mentioned have not shot a group over 3/4 of an inch ,a bad group for this gun is a half inch to 3/4 everything else is in that quarter inch and less I don't believe there's a smokeless shooter in America if he sat down with one of these rifles and shot it for a week would not want one.

I would have to say that I'm in the 30 caliber camp.
After shooting hundreds of rounds thru mine in convinced there is not a 10 ring or deer safe in this country.
I'm pleased with a .6 moa hunting load with a solid 120 grain projectile.
I've been amazed at the accuracy/ efficiency of this little rifle.
Georgia has taken the first step to allow 30 bore muzzleloaders for deer.
I'm patiently awaiting deer season to put it to the test.
For me it's a product of necessity. With primmers scares/ powder in short supply.
Bullets very expensive it just makes economic sense to go down this road.
Sure I've got centerfire weapons systems that I can fall back on that perform as exspected.
Like MM I to suffered from magnum mania in my middle years but as time went by the light 30s 6mm 6.5 mm have taken over in my hunting world.
I'm not recoil sensitive but I would say I've become recoil savy why punish my shoulder when a very light recoilinh riflexl will do.
I'm content that down is down when it comes to hunting...
If you can confidently place your shot the results will be satisfactory.
My contention is that physically/monetarily you can just shoot more for the same budget.
You will become a much better shot.
These rifles have taught me to really focus to make each shot count.
I'm ready for deer season. 🦌

Haven’t shot a big game animal with anything other than a .45 or .50 muzzy in 30+ years myself.
Same here, but then, I live in Iowa where the choice has been shot gun or muzzle loader. Never could cozy up to the idea of using a shotgun on deer. Too many of the shotgun "hunters" shoot "at" the deer resulting in thousands (yes, THOUSANDS) deer being lost annually with most of them dying long and painful deaths. Most all ML hunters pick a killing shot on a deer and are 99% sure of bagging a deer when the trigger is pulled. Iowa recently allowed straight-walled CF cartridges but I do not feel inadequate with my SML's.....One Shot One Kill!

Back to smokeless powder imr4198 this is 32.5 grains five shots are in the group and one is out I don't know what happened with that got a lot of wind going on and I change primers but I'm real happy with the other five once again this is a 17twist 30 cal slow twist barrel, shooting Nosler 110 grain varmint bullet right at 2800 ft per second,,, the barrel is very accurate as I've mentioned with loads from 2,000 ft up to 3000 Blackhorn or smokeless

Attachments

• 20240618_190331.jpg
    20240618_190331.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
20240619_150246.jpg
Here is a hotrod hunting load
120 grain barnes mono
33 grains n120 fed 205
I believe I'm sacrificing a tad bit of accuracy At a 1 inch 5 shot group. Running 3075 feet per second.
Shot in variable wind gusting to 15mph so not terrible.
It ought to be a hammer this fall.
Probably going to clean the barrel I'm over 50 rounds thru this clean.
Shoot one more time then go to the 110 barnes flat based bullets.

Last edited:
Another fan of the 30 cal sml.
I have been talking to Ga. Smokey
About my set up.
Remington 700 ultimate, asg Gen 2 ignition, 1 -11 barrel, LR custom break.
Large powder chamber, the LOWEST powder charge load is 58.5 grs of powder.
It is set up for 63.7 gr of H4350, shooting a Berger 150 gr flat base or Hornady flate base 150 gr FF bullet. Here is some shooting from yesterday. The paper target was at 200 yards .87 moa. Wind was right to left, top hole was from clean barrel, then 4 shots left of center.
The video Was at 350 yards, 3.75 moa. 5 shots on 8 inch plate with 2 other people trying it out.
I have taken this out to 500 yards using 7.75 moa for the setting. and when the rain and winds slowly slows down here in Iowa, I will be going out to 800 yards.
This was put together in 2021.

Attachments

• 20240621_123507.jpg
    20240621_123507.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240621_125059_Chronograph.jpg
    Screenshot_20240621_125059_Chronograph.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240621_103030.mp4
    37.8 MB
Last edited:
Another fan of the 30 cal sml.
I have been talking to Ga. Smokey
About my set up.
Remington 700 ultimate, asg Gen 2 ignition, 1 -11 barrel, LR custom break.
Large powder chamber, the LOWEST powder charge load is 58.5 grs of powder.
It is set up for 63.7 gr of H4350, shooting a Berger 150 gr flat base or Hornady flate base 150 gr FF bullet. Here is some shooting from yesterday. The paper target was at 200 yards .87 moa. Wind was right to left, top hole was from clean barrel, then 4 shots left of center.
The video Was at 350 yards, 3.75 moa. 5 shots on 8 inch plate with 2 other people trying it out.
I have taken this out to 500 yards using 7.75 moa for the setting. and when the rain and winds slowly slows down here in Iowa, I will be going out to 800 yards.
This was put together in 2021.
That's awesome to see another successful 30 project. There are more out there I'm sure.

The 30 cal project has another element, if I haven't mentioned it, we're also trying to freeform in a 305-311 barrel, I'm sizing bullets down to around 306 shooting a wool wad, I started out yesterday evening with IMR 4198 and continued this morning I'm getting good bullet swell but inconsistent results, two bullets around a quarter inch together and then the next one will throw off the group, any ladder work up or down is about the same pressure is much more than the full form barrel that is 300-308,, you can feel it in the recoil. I decided to try a load of Blackhorn and wouldn't you know everything settled down which again I didn't expect, the barrel is the one in 16 twist Douglas I think it's wanting to shoot but I think it's wanting to shoot at a lot less pressure than what I was asking out of it with smokeless, anyway a little bit of a head scratcher but a glimmer of hope, also if we end up just cutting the barrel off it's long enough and changing over to 310-311 bullets and full forming that's no problem or if I end up with a dedicated varmint Blackhorn rifle maybe that's a positive too, anyway just getting started with this Barrel much more work to do. Shooting in a gusty wind today and it's very hot.5 shots

Attachments

• 20240622_123629.jpg
    20240622_123629.jpg
    1,019.9 KB · Views: 0
Ballistic-X-Export-2024-06-23 14_54_56.364397.png
Here is another hunting load
110 grain barnes solid at 3150 ft/sec
Over 33.1 of n120 with a 205m primmer.
Probably going to shoot this some more at distance.
I did note that n120 is very temp stable
I shot this load from 70 degrees this morning to over 95 when I quite.
I took my press to the range and my powder machine.
It was OK the powder machine is very sensitive.
Had to keep it in my truck. But it beat back and forth to the house.
I did try 33.5 and the velocity was 3175 but the group shifted and opened up. Got off the node. Primmrrs looked real good! No signs of preasure.
I'll take a 3/4 moa hunting load....

Back