475 grain 50 caliber Conical

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_2551.JPG

52Bore made these bullets; sent them, and we shot them. Range to impact was 25 yard. Powder load was 50g Blackhorn.

IMG_2562.JPG

The bullet went through all six jugs; bounced off the phone books, and was picked up from under the horse. More damage was done the second, and third jug, than to the first jug. This was unusual; the damage to the heel of the bullet also seemed kinda unusual.

IMG_2560.JPG

Same as the NoExcuses. No expansion. I guess that how big conicals act unless pushed really hard.

Well ain't that a bummer! Even with pure lead.
Interesting that the HP (0.125") didn't expand, but I've recently received 2 identical molds to mine from Tom at Accurate and just put a larger HP (0.150"). I may just send you some of the larger HP just so maybe we can learn something..
Like you, have no idea about the base unless it's the BH209 that has too much initial 'kick' for lead?
1- did you use a wad?
2- is your 50g weight or volume?
Photo of the one you just shot (left), new one and a solid.

Attachments

• 50 475 3 top.JPG
    50 475 3 top.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 581
Interesting that my 45/350g bullet and my friend who recovered my 52/500g bullet both recovered under the exterior skin look like this out of deer.
45 cal 350gr out of a doe shot at 90yds. This HP is 0.150" in diameter.

52 cal 500gr recovered out of a nice buck shot about 80 yards. This HP is 0.200" in diameter

All my HP's extend to the end of the ojive/top band.

Attachments

• 45 350gr HP GG to 185gr.JPG
    45 350gr HP GG to 185gr.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 584
  • 52 498 c.JPG
    52 498 c.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 584
Is it possible the damage to the base is due to the bullet tumbling after the initial impact...possibly hitting the phone books going backwards?

Perhaps?

Perhaps the reason the second, and third jugs were more damaged than the first?

Prior to shooting the bullet through the trap, two shots were taken at paper to determine aim. The holes made by those two shots look to perfectly round.

Try using a felt wad when using bh209 and big lead .

Dave at NoExcuses claims they are made with pure lead and looked exactly the same when Ron tested them. Something about a big chunk of lead that gives it more strength to resist expanding.

Not sure how important it is/ A 1/2" hole with the impact from the heavy weight bullet will kill pretty good. We know heavy conicals have a good record of bang-flops. It's hard to ask for more.

Ed, your bullets were shot using 80 grain Blackhorn. This bullet was shot with 50 grain Blackhorn. It seemed that most conical shooters don't use much powder, and by the time the bullet gets out there aways, it will have slowed to 50g speed.

ronlaughlin said:
Ed, your bullets were shot using 80 grain Blackhorn. This bullet was shot with 50 grain Blackhorn. It seemed that most conical shooters don't use much powder, and by the time the bullet gets out there aways, it will have slowed to 50g speed.

Yea , I can see where that would make a big difference.

Sent the larger HP today, let's see if it makes a difference. If not, I'll make another larger HP.
The base thing is really interesting and appears to have tumbled somewhere in there.

I stopped by the range to test the 35gr weighed with my LabRadar, my results with BH209 were as dismal as the bullet tested, something was wrong as it didn't pick up a single bullet out of 10 with BH209, 5-35gr, 5-40gr. It picked up every shot with Black Powder (10+). I added up to 3 hard card wads and something wasn't right as I could tell recoil was low and bullets were not hitting my 6 bull target at 200. I even alternated 2 shots BH209 - no data, 1 shot Swiss - data, back and forth, etc.., could not figure out why.. On the way home I thought the MV must have been too low for the pistol setting (~700fps min). Tomorrow I'll try to stop by again with Federal 209 primers instead of Rem.
My breech plug is a std plug with a vent liner I installed. All of this above might be the causes of lack of ignition. I even had a Blackhorn Blooper on my last attempt - out the muzzle 10-20 feet.

Watched your video, kinda hard to see but, I couldn't see the carpet & plywood in front as most videos it's clearly visible.

oneeigth.jpg

Video paused 1/8 second after impact, then paused 1/4 second after impact. Carpet/plywood plain to see.

onefourth.jpg

SEE?

:mrgreen:

Will try to clock the bullet at 25 yard; have two left.

Two shots the morning the bullet was captured. Range was 25 yard.

IMG_2565.JPG

This morning the elevation dial was raised 4 moa; windage dial was turned right 2 moa before shooting the same target placed at 26 yard. Again the load was 35 (weighed) grain Blackhorn. The clock was placed in front of the target before shooting, and two shots taken (the two remaining bullet).

IMG_2566.JPG

IMG_2567.JPG

Latest posts

Back