What muzzleloading stuff did you do today?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1st chance I've had to try some of the Accurate 40 greasers (minus the grease ) in the lite blue Harvester sabot that I cast for a member here . I hope he has a 45 cal to shoot these like I did ! Zeroed @200 yds the 1st shot @ the gong said go for grouping so I did over 57 gr of IMR4198 then went to 57.5 (the winner) and am going back out to the garage and cast a bunch for Fridays shoot . The 100 yd group was boring so wasted no time there as I did not have a lot casted (pure lead) . I also had a buddy watching (2 shots before he ran off) ,came back later to verify my groups !

What barrel? What twist? What sabot?
I also cast a .400 cal bullet from an Accurate mould, 247 grain, but mine is smooth sided. I've not gotten any groups at 100 yds that are under .9" in my Paramount with the Brux/Woodman 1:18. IMR4198, and N120, both Harvester sabots. I've been delayed in all my shooting because of fishing season, golf, and a 1911 pistol.

What barrel? What twist? What sabot?
I also cast a .400 cal bullet from an Accurate mould, 247 grain, but mine is smooth sided. I've not gotten any groups at 100 yds that are under .9" in my Paramount with the Brux/Woodman 1:18. IMR4198, and N120, both Harvester sabots. I've been delayed in all my shooting because of fishing season, golf, and a 1911 pistol.
One of Mt Monkeys (lab guns) Howa 1500/19 twist Hand lapped Shilien barrel ,and until I got this powder last week things came together I think today 57.5 IMR 4198 with these greasers (without the grease) in the lite blue smooth harvester made my day and @200 yds I had to quit early ,walk back to the house and make more for Fridays shoot

Attachments

• IMG_1348[1].JPG
    IMG_1348[1].JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I hit the club early this morning with the Patriot .45 so I could be finished by the 11 cut-off for an event there this afternoon. I took three different bullets:195 Expanders, 200 grain XTPs and 225 grain Fury Star tips in the .400 size. Everything from Harvester's light blue sabots. 5 shots each at 56 grains of IMR4198, 5 each of 56.5 grains IMR4198 and 5 each at 57 grains IMR4198 was intended but I had to scale back to three shots each because of the event. 27 shots was enough as it turns out. Pretty much have decided that the 56 grain load does it the best with all three of the bullets and I'll focus on that charge unless I can land some N110 to dink around with.

Everything was done at 100 yards. The club has a 9AM start time and by the time I got settled to shoot the wind kicked up from the SE and that wind sucks out there. It loosened up the groups a tad but not bad. By the time I finished, target dots covered the main target pretty much and when I went to take it off the backer it fell apart so a picture or two, intended, didn't happen today. The 225 Fury at 56 grains of powder had the tightest group, maybe 1-1/4" with the wind's help. 1-7/8" was the widest spread and came using the 57 grain loads with the XTPs. At 56 grains the Furys and the XTPs were very close in group size. I believe it was Mt. Monkey that mentioned shooting a 200 grain, .40 cal start tip with the ballistic tips and having really decent luck with them so I'm ordering those to play with to see if anything tightens up.

It was a nice morning to shoot what with the temps in the low 70s and humidity in the 50s% instead of the mid-70s where it has been.

Back