What muzzleloading stuff did you do today?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talked with Mark Woodman today my barrel is ready to ship. Upon arrival I will test loads starting with 27 grains N110 under a Cutting Edge 240 grain maximus bullet in light blue crush rib sabot. Barrel is 1" shank so will need to keep pressure under 40K PSI. I can't handle heavy recoil so went with medium pressure plug and will keep the loads on the light side.

Yesterday I was perusing Mark Woodman's website and saw an Omega 45 cal smokeless capable nitride spiral barrel in stock (last one). It uses 209 primers and has a 1-24 inch twist rate. That twist rate will do just fine for me using sabots and probably anything else I might want to shoot in it. My hunting ranges are typically 30 to 100yds but can stretch out to 220 ydd or so if I sit over the cutover. Couldn't resist so I bought it. 😀. I have an action on a barrel that is not in great shape along with a spare laminated stock. Since it's supposed to come with the plug, it'll be ready to go shortly after it gets here. Sadly, with this heat here and upcoming cataract surgeries it's going to be a while before I can shoot. Plenty of N120 on hand and 209 primers.

Yesterday I was perusing Mark Woodman's website and saw an Omega 45 cal smokeless capable nitride spiral barrel in stock (last one). It uses 209 primers and has a 1-24 inch twist rate. That twist rate will do just fine for me using sabots and probably anything else I might want to shoot in it. My hunting ranges are typically 30 to 100yds but can stretch out to 220 ydd or so if I sit over the cutover. Couldn't resist so I bought it. 😀. I have an action on a barrel that is not in great shape along with a spare laminated stock. Since it's supposed to come with the plug, it'll be ready to go shortly after it gets here. Sadly, with this heat here and upcoming cataract surgeries it's going to be a while before I can shoot. Plenty of N120 on hand and 209 primers.
Best of luck with your cataract surgery, then you'll be able to see & shoot like a champ! Best of both worlds!:lewis: And good luck with your new build!

Thanks LBA, I was looking for a steel base but nothing available locally. I'll check out the Talley. The one I installed is aluminum.
I prefer steel over aluminium. I was looking at the steel Murphy base but I thought I would try the aluminium Talley base first. So far, I haven't any trouble with either one.

1st chance I've had to try some of the Accurate 40 greasers (minus the grease ) in the lite blue Harvester sabot that I cast for a member here . I hope he has a 45 cal to shoot these like I did ! Zeroed @200 yds the 1st shot @ the gong said go for grouping so I did over 57 gr of IMR4198 then went to 57.5 (the winner) and am going back out to the garage and cast a bunch for Fridays shoot . The 100 yd group was boring so wasted no time there as I did not have a lot casted (pure lead) . I also had a buddy watching (2 shots before he ran off) ,came back later to verify my groups !

Attachments

• IMG_1346[1].JPG
    IMG_1346[1].JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1342[1].JPG
    IMG_1342[1].JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1343[1].JPG
    IMG_1343[1].JPG
    6.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1335[1].JPG
    IMG_1335[1].JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 1
1st chance I've had to try some of the Accurate 40 greasers (minus the grease ) in the lite blue Harvester sabot that I cast for a member here . I hope he has a 45 cal to shoot these like I did ! Zeroed @200 yds the 1st shot @ the gong said go for grouping so I did over 57 gr of IMR4198 then went to 57.5 (the winner) and am going back out to the garage and cast a bunch for Fridays shoot . The 100 yd group was boring so wasted no time there as I did not have a lot casted (pure lead) . I also had a buddy watching (2 shots before he ran off) ,came back later to verify my groups !
What is weight of bullet you are shooting ?

Everyone of these I see has only one screw in the mount. How do you maintain a permanent windage? How do you keep the base from pivoting left and right with only one screw? Looks like a strong breeze would knock it out of whack.
Windage issues are mostly handled with the front post site (no, not gonna go the full front/rear peep route, I have that for my Sharps).

Yep, that rear peep configuration lacks mounting integrity. Ed and I talked that over a year or so ago when we both got rear tang peeps, but I'm not gonna drill holes into either the bbl tang or stock just yet.

So yeah, this is just another repeat rear peep flinter test. If it works Super well for these old eyes I might very well be tempted to commit a tap 'n' drill to the tang. I should know by this Friday,

Back