When your range rod doesn't go "clank"

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lage345

Reaction score
Upon prepping for my range trip today I did the usual by running a range rod with jagged tip down the bore so I could check for "unloaded" and also mark the rod for that unloaded length. Except today when I did that, instead of the range rod going "clank" upon hitting the breech face, it went "thump". Thought to myself "that's not rignt". It went in what seemed to be proper depth, but it felt "spongy", and it didn't make the right noise upon hitting the breech face. Looking down the bore with a flashlight, I could see nothing. The breech face appeared light, except maybe not as "shiny" as I'd expect.

So, I replaced the jag with a worm, went in with the rod and screwed well down, and then pulled out what appeared to be a compacted remnant of a cleaning patch. I usually double up my patches so as to "dig into" the rifling, and apparently one patch got loose from the jag and stayed down against the breech face, probably to be additionally compressed by any subsequent bore strokes. If a patch is compressed up against the breech face, you can't really tell by looking down the bore with a flashlight. You can see black powder fouling, but you can't see something that's basically the same color as the breech face.

Lesson learned: check for proper depth AND proper "clank" after cleaning as well as before shooting.

The Octagon is fine for two go in, one comes out. Doesn't work so well for patches.

I have one of those doodads with just two stainless steel fingers on it. When you push down and turn the rod, those sharp little fingers puncture the patches and holds on to them as the rod is pulled out.

Good for you. I bought a TC Hawken flintlock several years ago because the guy said he couldn't get it to go off. I only wanted it for the stock and he wanted $50 for ot so I grabbed it.
I pulled the PRB out with a bullet puller and dumped the powder. I then removed the flash hole vent and there was a tightly wadded up patch or patches way down in the breech. After about an hour of digging and picking I got it all out.
Turned out to be a great rifle.

Latest posts

Back