Lots more work needed

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Besides changing the scope from the Vortex Diamondback to the Sightron STAC there wasn't much else that changed. I shot 250 gr FTXs, 300 gr SSTs and 300 Furys with IMR4198 and N120. Last time out with the diamondback scope I put 3 rounds under 1" @ 100 yds. Today that same load grouped over 1.5" The Furys didn't do too bad with IMR4198 but did much better with the N120. I'm still figuring this SML thing out. I think I over sized the Furys because they loaded pretty easily. But by the same token I don't think I sized the FTXs or SSTs quite enough because they were really tight. I had to really lean on the ramrod to seat them. All in all I was a bit disappointed with today's results. I was windy today but the 15020mph wind shouldn't have affected the groups that much.
On a side note, my new to me Omega shot pretty darn good with 100 gr of Black MZ under a 340 gr Hornady Bore Driver.

Attachments

• SML 6272024.jpg
    SML 6272024.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 0
Besides changing the scope from the Vortex Diamondback to the Sightron STAC there wasn't much else that changed. I shot 250 gr FTXs, 300 gr SSTs and 300 Furys with IMR4198 and N120. Last time out with the diamondback scope I put 3 rounds under 1" @ 100 yds. Today that same load grouped over 1.5" The Furys didn't do too bad with IMR4198 but did much better with the N120. I'm still figuring this SML thing out. I think I over sized the Furys because they loaded pretty easily. But by the same token I don't think I sized the FTXs or SSTs quite enough because they were really tight. I had to really lean on the ramrod to seat them. All in all I was a bit disappointed with today's results. I was windy today but the 15020mph wind shouldn't have affected the groups that much.
On a side note, my new to me Omega shot pretty darn good with 100 gr of Black MZ under a 340 gr Hornady Bore Driver.
I'd say you did very well with a 15020mph wind.

I'd think plus 15K winds would have pushed your bullets into the next state.

Have you considered H335 for those big fat bullets? H335 works well with my .460 S&W 250 to 300 grain loads.

PS: And three shots does not a group make. Try six or seven shot groups. This allows for a flier or two. The non-fliers are the group. Left and Right are the fliers for this six shot group. If I only fired three shots and the bottom hole was the third shot, I would think the group is two times bigger than what it actually is. Three shots are fine for walking in a scope. But not for load development.

Good luck with her.

Attachments

• Group Fliers.jpg
    Group Fliers.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I know about 3 shot groups but I'm still working uo something close. I just weighed out another batch of charges with N120 and IMR4198.
As for the bullets, I reduced the size of the FTXs and SSTs by a couple ten thousands and knurled the Furys to build them up a few.
To get a nice steady push on the ramrod to seat the bullets I need them sized to .4513".
I might sneak out in the morning but if not I'll go out Monday.
**I was being extra cautious today because I was shooting both my SML and my Omega. Because I had the range to myself today I kept all the smokeless Stuff on one bench and the black powder sub stuff on another. That way there would be no possibility of dumping smokeless into the Omega.

OP, meant to tell you earlier that I also use Benchmark in my .45 caliber smokeless M/L rifle.

H335 and Benchmark are peas and carrots on the burn rate chart. I've found that slower burning powders work better for pushing big heavy objects.

Attachments

• updatedburnrateschart-1.pdf
    133.6 KB · Views: 0
I know about 3 shot groups but I'm still working uo something close. I just weighed out another batch of charges with N120 and IMR4198.
As for the bullets, I reduced the size of the FTXs and SSTs by a couple ten thousands and knurled the Furys to build them up a few.
To get a nice steady push on the ramrod to seat the bullets I need them sized to .4513".
I might sneak out in the morning but if not I'll go out Monday.
**I was being extra cautious today because I was shooting both my SML and my Omega. Because I had the range to myself today I kept all the smokeless Stuff on one bench and the black powder sub stuff on another. That way there would be no possibility of dumping smokeless into the Omega.
One thing I found was that different bullets will size differently even when the exact same die and settings are used. So I’d work with one bullet at a time or just know that going in your going to need to adjust your sizing for each bullet type/ brand used.

One thing I found was that different bullets will size differently even when the exact same die and settings are used. So I’d work with one bullet at a time or just know that going in your going to need to adjust your sizing for each bullet type/ brand used.
Absolutely. I find the same thing. I have to adjust the sizer for each type of bullet.

It depends on the bullet composition. Bullets like Furys need only run thru the sizer 1 time while SSTs need to go thru at least 3 times because of spring back.
Also I only size enough SSTs or FTXs that I am going to be shooting right away. I found that even if sized 3 times, if they sit too long, they tend to rebound back slightly.

It depends on the bullet composition. Bullets like Furys need only run thru the sizer 1 time while SSTs need to go thru at least 3 times because of spring back.
Also I only size enough SSTs or FTXs that I am going to be shooting right away. I found that even if sized 3 times, if they sit too long, they tend to rebound back slightly.
That too

That's why my finished sizing force is on a 5th pass through the die.
I have XLD's sized over 2yrs ago that load at the same force today as when first sized.

If you are going to use the same sizer for different bullets. Get a notebook to keep track of each bullet setting.
What works for me is, after I get a bullet to group, I will play with that bullet, and the sizer at the range to find out what your gun likes, and fine tune it Then repeat on another day.
After you find what it likes, then measure it and record sizer setting and the measurement for each bullet that you want to play with.
That way, if you are playing with 4 different bullets, you will have the info for each one to set the sizer to and the measurement that will shoot the best out of your gun with that bullet set up.

That's a good idea Kodiak but once I find a bullet that works for me I'll stick with it. On another topic tho, I really like that Sightron STAC with the moa reticle. That center dot makes it easy to place right in the bull.

X2 on the scope.
I have 2 bullets that are my go-to, so I have 2 Dies for them. During the summertime I would try out 10 to 15 different bullets, looking for the magic load.
So, I learned quick to keep track of everything. Lol, easier to look at the notes, then to try and remember what I did last week.

Back