Pyodex vs Black Powder and Ball Versus bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hyspd

Reaction score
Hello, first post.

I have an unidentitifed replica of Civil War era Griswold & Gunnison in an unrealistic .44 cal. that would like to shoot.

The revolver has a brass frame and is cased with a powder flask with a rather large IMHO measuring tube.

is it OK to shoot this with less powder? I have read some where that 18gr of BP or 15gr Pyrodex is an agreeable powder load. I haven't
weighed a thrown from the flask, but it looks to be much larger. .Is a there a 1/6 weight drop when using Pyrodex? Benfits mentione when reduced wear on the brass frame and better accuracy...

The lower barrel lug loading clearance looks to quite be generous for the .454" balls....I have soft lead airifle hollow point bullets
weighing 255gr that are .452" and look like they will clear to be loaded. Would these bullets be suitable?

Thanks for your thoughts, Charles

Welcome aboard.

With the brass frame keeping loads reasonable will go a long way keeping the pistol shooting well. The brass is softer than steel and heavy loads can hammer the cylinder against frame and loosen things up, or so I've heard.

I'd buy an adjustable powder measure. A decent brass one won't cost a whole lot, probably under $20. A powder measure goes a long way in finding a good charge for specific bullets. With pyro you won't have to make any charge adjustments, its a pretty mild powder. T7 you'll need to back off by about 10-15% but you may find T7 a bit harder to ignite. Honestly I'd search for some fffg real black for the gun. Pyro is terribly corrosive.... moreso than most blacks.

The are people who have success with "ballette" type of bullets so I'm sure if you keep the charge level down and work up you'll be fine.

Welcome to the brotherhood.
I can’t help you with black powder pistols, I’ve never owned one.

May I ask if that is by volume or by weight?

That would be a volume measure.

With real black, close enough to not matter or in the case of 2Fg it is what is being used as "the standard" when grains are used as a volume measurement when shooting black powder stuff.

If you are using a substitute, always work in volume unless weight is explicitly stated.

Back