What do I NOT need if using bh209 ... instead of 777/pyrodx?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, got done cleaning rifle last night. This is what I did...
Removed breach plug and placed in a hot cup of simple green / water

Then, took apart rifle down to the diagram indicated in owners manual, the forestock was a pain to get off, it wouldnt budge till I put boiling water down the barrel.

So, put funnel in breach, poured boiling water down it...MY GOSH the barrel got hot and stayed hot for like a half an hour.
Then, was able to get stock off and get barrel by itself, then from breach end .. put cleaning jag w/ patch, scrubbed barrel, then scrubbed w/ eezox, then some dry patches .. then let sit and dry.

Then, took plug outta simple green, put toothbrush in simplegreen then scrubbed the threads clean. Then, crammed some qtips into the flash channel, removed the buildup from test firing at factory I suppose.
Then ran more Qtips in it till was dry / clean.
Blew the flash hole out dry.

Then took toothbrush to threads on breech end of barrel, got them clean, then dried w/ Qtips / patches and finger ..

Made sure everything looked / felt dry, let sit for a while.

Reassembled gun

Then put teflon tape around breech plug and screwed into breech. Made a decent seal I think...wont know till fire it.

Let sit overnight w/ breech open in case still has drying to do in plug.

Seems to have gone well =) also, eezox'd exterior metal parts.

Also, question I tried a 1/8th" drillbit ... but the flash channel is larger then that... dont I want a drillbit that fits the hole nearly the same size as the hole?

Feedback appreciated =)

If you are using BH209 I would skip the boiling water step. Not needed and may make your cleaning routine even more difficult, plus more risk of flash rust unless you use some type of protectant quickly. Any cleaner that you would use for your centerfire guns (Hoppes, Montana Extreme, Breakfree, Eezox) should be fine for everything but the breech plug. I use the Eezox inside and out and it works great.

Whatever drill bit fits in the breech plug by hand an allows you to spin it freely is the one you want.

SteveH said:
If you are using BH209 I would skip the boiling water step. Not needed and may make your cleaning routine even more difficult, plus more risk of flash rust unless you use some type of protectant quickly. Any cleaner that you would use for your centerfire guns (Hoppes, Montana Extreme, Breakfree, Eezox) should be fine for everything but the breech plug. I use the Eezox inside and out and it works great.

Whatever drill bit fits in the breech plug by hand an allows you to spin it freely is the one you want.

I only did boiling water for its fresh from factory cleaning, dont plan on doing it in the future.

For cleaning after a range session I suggest running a dry patch before one with solvent. It will get a lot of loos material out before the wet patch goes in and make cleaning even easier. All I use is Hoppes #9 and my bore shines.

cayuga said:
A hang fire is when you pull the trigger and there is a short delay before the main charge of the rifle goes off. This is usually caused because the bore of the rifle was not prepared properly. Its important that when you prepare the rifle, you blow the breech plug clean, and also have the bore of the rifle dry.

Lets say you want to go and shoot the rifle. We need to get the oil out of the bore first. So take a patch. Apply some isopropyl alcohol to it. Don't saturate it, just get it damp. Now swab the barrel bore. This will pull the oil out of the bore of the barrel. Now put a dry patch on the jag and again swab the bore. Now push that dry patch all the way down the barrel to the breech. Put a 209 primer in the breech plug and fire off that rifle. This will push the oil out of the breech onto that patch. Pull the patch. Now push another one down the bore and do it all over again. After the second primer has been fired, the breech is empty and the fire channel clean. So you are ready to load and shoot. You should not get a hang fire this way.

When you swab between shots, the trick is, the swab patch should not be too wet, and not too dry. Just damp. And if you suspect it was too damp,. run a dry patch after it to clean and dry the bore.

Thanks for the tip. I will try this method out, I am curious though .. in some of your posts you mention windex as well for the same method, will this work fine instead of using alchohol?

No water products of any kind with BH. Treat your gun like a modern gun and be done. That's the quickest way to explain it. :p

Back