some folks here could make some money...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have all read one tall tale after another about clover leaves and holes inside of holes inside of holes at 100 yards.

Everyone on the internet and leaving guns and ammo reviews is Chris Kyle wrapped in Carlos Hathcock and stuffed inside Daniel Boone.

I just chuckle. Yell, B******* inside my head and move on. The go to the range and cut MOA clover leaves with iron sights at 200 yards with my .300 Win Mag +P+ ammo of amazing awesomeness.

I own a few very accurate rifles. Before attempting that I would have to check zero and shoot a couple of groups cooling the barrel in between groups. There are days when I go to the range and know sub-moa groups are out of the question in the first few trigger pulls. Other days everything just feels right. I did find it interesting that some of the guys were almost shooting unsupported. If I shoot for accuracy I have to have a rock-solid rest. Video was fun to watch though. My Woodman Omega barrel is supposed to be here today, but I will be shocked if it arrives UPS is never here on the day they say they will be. Once it is up and running, we will see if I can develop a load that shoots sub-moa.

I here the young bucks talk about shooting 500 yards. I laugh. Most dont know what 500 yards looks like.

I like the idea of Minute of deer. Ive missed a few, but very few. Never had a dead one complain while I stand over it.

I shot a lot of groundhogs out to 300 yards. I did kill an elk at 375. But thats a big target.

I own a few very accurate rifles. Before attempting that I would have to check zero and shoot a couple of groups cooling the barrel in between groups. There are days when I go to the range and know sub-moa groups are out of the question in the first few trigger pulls. Other days everything just feels right. I did find it interesting that some of the guys were almost shooting unsupported. If I shoot for accuracy I have to have a rock-solid rest. Video was fun to watch though. My Woodman Omega barrel is supposed to be here today, but I will be shocked if it arrives UPS is never here on the day they say they will be. Once it is up and running, we will see if I can develop a load that shoots sub-moa.
That right there in red is how to do it. Cool that barrel down. Not too hot and not too cold. Juuuust Riiiight.

I'll fire seven rounds in 20 to 30 minutes when working up a hand load. Roughly three minutes between shots. Makes for a long day when ladder testing handloads. But it's worth it.

When shooting the .300 Win Mag, it's b**** to the wall. Firing every two seconds. Which is OK. Because it's a little known fact that Win Mag bullets travel so fast that they draw cold air in from the receiver. Automatically cooing the barrel.

If these regular Joe's can shoot clover leafs at a 100 yds on a regular basis , I reckon that the bench rest shooters would have a boat load of competition. Funny I rarely see cloverleaf groups at the gun club I visit.

I played with my Tikka 223 quite a few years ago over a summer. Burned a lot of powder shooting different bullets. My abilities improved the more time I spent behind the gun. From a bench rest , I printed some itty bitty groups at times. I recorded everything. If I look back on everything, the group size over all (Avg of 200 shots) would realistically be in the 1.75" area. That is real life , some fliers, some cold bores, some not, wind & temperature variations, eye issues, and a 4x12 scope limitation ( based on my ability). That rifle is capable of some decent accuracy if I do my thing. In all this I did find a load I am really happy with using H4895 and a 55 gr v Max with Rem 7½ primers. It has accounted for 90% of my coyotes in the last 10 years. If I miss, it's on me. Definitely min of a coyote.

Back