What muzzleloading stuff did you do today?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been working on an MK85 barrel with a pitted bore. Took it to the range before surgery and it destroyed Green Crush Rib Sabots with 90 Gr vol BH 209 and a 240 Grain XTP bullet fired with the #11 ignition. Still has good rifling but would not hold a 50 Yard group. If It doesn't come around and shoot better after I heal up it will be sold for parts. Been polishing the bore with 000 Stainless Steel wool and JBs bore paste. The first MK 85 I have had trouble with.

From Grafs, I ordered some 210gr 44 cal Maximus, 300 gr Maximus, some HLB sabots both crush rib and smooth along with some 285 gr ELRs.

From Hanks Precision, I ordered a sizing die kit, another sizing die, depriming tool and a HIS DI breechplug kit to try in my Scout Conversion. It currently has the HIS for LRP/LRMP. This way I can use just about any reasonable powder at low charges (N110).

I am in a state of deep mourning and loss. I sold my blued and laminate MK 85 to a good friend. This is the one I shot my buck with last year and is shown in my post MK 85 scores. Fortunately, I have I have a like new MK 85 Blued and walnut that I bought from sqezer a couple of months ago that shoots the exact same load and is also deadly accurate. The friend I sold it to isn't your average guy. He is always here when I need any kind of help and is the most generous guy I know. He also only lives 2 miles away so I can go visit the MK 85 if I miss it too much. I also just purchased a like new laminate stock that I will put on the MK 85 that I still own just because I like the way it looks.

Been wondering for a while why the sister site has a popular thread by this title and we donā€™t, soā€¦

What muzzleloading-related stuff did you do today?
Miss the mail lady ,she was way early as I'm never late !! Got a mold purchased by a member here and cast some boolits for this member but stuffing the box for shipping was taking longer than usual ,still think postal (person) was early , some photos from yesterday

Attachments

• IMG_1323[1].JPG
    IMG_1323[1].JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1324[1].JPG
    IMG_1324[1].JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1322[1].JPG
    IMG_1322[1].JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1321[1].JPG
    IMG_1321[1].JPG
    5 MB · Views: 1
Got my order in from Grafs and Hankins (yesterday). Started knurling some 200gr 40 Cal XTPs and finished measuring min powder charges with the HIS breechplug with N110, N120, N130 and 4227. Next will be with the new DI plug I just received.

Noticed my scope had moved in the CVA mount so I took it off and put some Warne steel rings on a base I had. Marked it so the next time I get to shoot I'll be able to tell if it moved. Glad I caught it now!

Last edited:
Got my order in from Grafs and Hankins (yesterday). Started knurling some 200gr 40 Cal XTPs and finished measuring min powder charges with the HIS breechplug with N110, N120, N130 and 4227. Next will be with the new DI plug I just received.

Noticed my scope had moved in the CVA mount so I tool it off and put some Warne steel rings on a base I had. Marked it so the next time I get to shoot I'll be able to tell if it moved. Glad I caught it now!
I went with the Talley picatinny rail and Warne rings on my Scout conversion and my Scout pistol. I usually opt for the steel base but I thought I would try the Talley base so far I like it.

Back